THE HISTORY OF
DRUG STORE GRILL
The Drug Store was built in 1913 after the town of Brookneal burned in 1912. Main Street was originally composed of wooden structures that resembled an old Western frontier town. After the fire, the Williams Brothers built the present brick building on the ashes of the old wooden building that burned.
The Williams Brothers were an important part of the town’s business and social life. Tom Pat Williams operated the Drug Store in the downstairs part of the building, while Dr. Will Williams maintained his dental practice upstairs. The Post Office, operated by postmaster J.R. (Bob) Williams, was located next door to the Drug Store (presently Elder and Tibbs Jewelry dining room). Dr. Walter Williams who was a medical doctor operated his medical practice from his house, which is presently Henderson Funeral Home. The first telephone in Brookneal was wired from Dr. Walter Williams’ office to the Drug Store.
At one time the Drug Store featured a marble soda fountain and was an early meeting place for the young folks. The Drug Store operated until 1990. We have restored the original tin ceiling and the original floor in the downstairs dining room. The original flooring was constructed from Greenstone mined in Lynchburg, Virginia. Drug Store officially opened it's doors as the restaurant it is today in 2010.
We have expanded to include another town staple with a long history of food and fellowship. In September 2022 we re-opened Wilsons Bar as "WERK". Now we occupy the entire town block of three buildings. This includes two bars, 250 seats for dining and a roof top deck. At over 5,000 square feet we are one of the biggest restaurants in Campbell County.